Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Trying to get it right

Okay. So in another earlier post about Kellogg, I noted that Calipari's UMass teams made the Elite 8 in 1995 and the Final Four in 1996. After getting the other facts about Kellogg wrong, I'm now concerned I got this wrong as well. And once again, I refuse to look it up, because I don't think that is fair. So I'm going to test my memory by listing the Championship game, and final four teams from that era, in attempt to make sure I had my facts straight. And I encourage all my devoted blog readers to check my work.

1999: Final: UConn def. Duke. Final Four: UConn def. Ohio State; Duke def. Michigan State
1998: Final: Kentucky def. Utah. Final Four: Kentucky def. Duke; Utah def. UNC (I'm not sure about Duke in that one).
1997: Final: Arizona def. Kentucky. Final Four: Kentucky def. Minnesota; Arizona def. UNC
1996: Final Kentucky def. Syracuse. Final Four: Kentucky def. UMass (as I said); Syracuse def. Mississippi State.
1995: Final: UCLA def. Arkansas. Final Four: UCLA def. Oklahoma State; Arkansas def. UNC. (And Oklahoma State def. UMass in the Elite 8 in East Rutherford, N.J. I actually remember that entire elite 8. I remember this tourney very well).

Okay folks...did I get it right?

1 comment:

H.S. Slam, Ph.D said...

Of course you didn't get it right, although your hedge in picking 1998 was correct. Kentucky beat Duke in the regional final that year, then went on to beat Stanford in the Final Four. You may recall that Stanford had a ridiculous come-from-behind victory over Lamar Odom's Rhode Island Rams in the regional final that year.