Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Patty Mills and laundry

Well, I watched a St. Mary's game, and didn't really mention their star point guard Patty Mills (though I think I said I would talk about him later). It's now later.

Mills got some hype last season as St. Mary's earned a few upsets early in the season, and he was featured in Sports Illustrated as part of a story about the influx of Australians in college hoops. But every time I saw him last season, I was fairly underwhelmed. Not that he was bad, I just wasn't overly impressed.

But it seems as though he gained some confidence playing for the Australian national team at the Olympics, and then the consensus seemed to be that he was one of the top players at the Games, and even outplayed some of the USA stars in the game against the US.

All of that is a long way of saying he's getting a lot of buzz as a star this season. Even with all that, I thought he didn't really stand out in St. Mary's win this morning, but then at the end he finished with 27 points. So I guess my point is that it is fairly impressive that he can pour in 27 points, in a quiet fashion. I rarely think of a guy scoring a quiet 27, but that's what I thought he did, and that's pretty impressive.

In other news, I managed to put in a load of laundry during a commercial break.

1 comment:

H.S. Slam, Ph.D said...

I think we were watching the same St. Mary's-Fresno State game, but I thought Mills was very impressive. Good stroke, quick, can finish, good passer. NBA point guard, for sure.