Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Kellogg


I suppose now is as good a time as any to explain the Derek Kellogg story.

Memphis Coach Calipary made his name by rebuilding the UMass program in the early-mid '90s. His two best teams were probably the 1995 and 1996 teams which went to the elite 8 and final four respectively (although that final four season was wiped from the record books, but that's an issue for another time). Anyway, Kellogg was the point guard for those UMass teams. He then became an assistant coach for Calipari, and was an assistant on his Memphis staff last season. This is the sort of thing that gets mentioned about 900 times during games like this...for example color guy Jimmy Dykes (who is a grade-A blowhard) has noted at least five times "who knows better what Memphis' weaknesses are better than their former assistant).

The other noteworthy thing about Kellogg was that he teamed with shooting guard Leonard Travieso (I'm almost certainly spelling that wrong) to form what Hayden Alfano and I believed was the least attractive backcourt in college hoops history. Travieso was just an ugly dude, and Kellogg had some ridiculously bad hair (as noted in this picture).

3 comments:

H.S. Slam, Ph.D said...

This post is quite possibly the worst in college basketball blogging history. You basically lose the Internet in this one.

First of all, the ugly backcourt was Kellogg and Edgar Padilla. Travieso was the sixth man.

Secondly...LEONARD TRAVIESO? ARE YOU KIDDING? LEONARD?

Carmelo Travieso, for the love of Lou Roe.

Let's see if you can redeem yourself. What coincidence bonded Padilla and Travieso?

Assistant Commisioner said...

I apologize for the error. To my credit (perhaps) I sort of remembered as I was writing this post that there was a third guy and that Travieso was just the sixth man. But I thought it ruined the integrity if I looked it up. Also, it was Padilla who was the exceptionally ugly one. I apologize for insulting Travieso.

And I don't really remember the coincidence, but for some reason I think they had the same birthday.

H.S. Slam, Ph.D said...

Half credit. Not only did they have the same birthday (same year), but they were born in the same Puerto Rican hospital.